History of The Convent of Mercy, Kanturk:
In the early part of the nineteenth century Kanturk was dotted with ‘pay-schools’ but the introduction of the National School System in 1831 heralded the quick demise of these ‘hedge schools’. Only three schools were recorded for Kanturk in 1848. The largest section of the population was attending Kanturk Male and Female schools.
1868 saw the founding of the Convent School which was to replace the Female School. This school was the renovated old church and it was in this “old church” that the nuns taught until 1936.
Up to 1910, the attendance in all classes was exclusively female. In that year the Manager decided to transfer the Junior infants of the Boy’s School to a class in the Convent School.
In 1936, the original school house at Church Street was knocked down and a new school was built. This is the Convent Primary School today. Boys are still being taught in the Infant classes, and then transfer to St Colman’s Boys’ School. In 1975 an addition was made to the Convent School comprising of three classrooms, hall and staff room.
The school has undergone minor renovations and moderation since then but the overall structure remains the same. At present the school awaits the building of a new school and amalgamation with St. Colman’s Boys N.S.